The Regional Centre for Urban and Environmental Studies (RCUES), Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Government of India, OU campus, Hyderabad, has earned recognition as a world-class research and training institution. The State Governments of Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Pondicherry and the Union Territory of A&N Islands are under jurisdiction of RCUES-Hyderabad. This centre was established by Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India in 1970 to cater the Training and Research needs of Urban Local Bodies of the constituent states.
- RCUES Hyderabad is to act as a catalyst and facilitator institution to promote professionalism in Urban Governance and Management;
- To share knowledge, information and experience in decentralization, good urban governance practices, municipal management and act as knowledge hub;
- To provide opportunities to career civil servants to develop and upgrade their knowledge and experience;
- To organize Training of Trainers (ToT) and specialized training courses;
- To undertake and/or commission studies in urban development, urban poverty alievation, urban management and urban e-Governance etc.
- RCUES-OU intends to improve urban governance and policy in India with a strong desire to lead policy thinking and policy formulation suggesting solutions to the emerging urban issues and problems.
- RCUES-OU aspires to enhance scholastic abilities and establish it as an urban policy think tank that develops and promotes alternative solutions to the issues concerned with society and critically evaluate public policies, to assess the performance of the urban authorities and to organize programmes for raising the competencies of public representatives, employees and administrators.